nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] config.log re: magic.h

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] config.log re: magic.h
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 21:17:45 +0200

[Putting nano-devel back into the CC.]

On Tue, May 30, 2017, at 15:27, Justine Uro wrote:
> Hi Benno, I am attaching a txt file with an excerpt from the config.log
> that contains additional info re:magic.h.  I hope this is good enough.

That was interesting (tiny excerpt I have pasted below, for the benefit
of other readers), but it would have puzzled me greatly.  :)

The crucial information you gave here:

> The system is Debian 8 (Jessie). [...] Haven't compiled nano before.
> Also, magic.h is from libgraphicsmagick3_1.3.20-3+deb8u2_i386.deb.
> It is installed under the /usr/include/GraphicsMagick/magick dir.
> I attached a soft link from there to /usr/include. I hope this helps.

Aaah!  You made a symbolic link yourself, to a wrong magic.h.  When you
have a normal GNU/Linux or Unixy system, it should not be necessary to
make any symlinks yourself in order for nano (or any other package) to
detect header files properly.  So, please remove that symlink.  Then
the warning will go away.  Your magic.h belongs to ImageMagick, which
has something to do with pictures.  Nano has no relation with pictures.
What nano can use is *libmagic*, which is about specific, tell-tale,
"magic" numbers and strings, to detect which type of file is being
edited, so it can use the right syntax coloring.  If you want nano
to be able to use libmagic (which I don't recommend, because it is
rather slow and file-extension and file-header recognition works fine
in most cases), you will probably have to install libmagic-dev --
that package contains the correct magic.h.

Tiny fragment from config.log:

  configure:35296: checking magic.h usability
  configure:35296: gcc -std=gnu99 -c -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/ncursesw
conftest.c >&5
  In file included from conftest.c:590:0:
  /usr/include/magic.h:21:8: error: unknown type name 'MagickExport'
   extern MagickExport MagickPassFail
          ^
  /usr/include/magic.h:22:3: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
'__attribute__' before 'GetMagickFileFormat'
     GetMagickFileFormat(const unsigned char *header,const size_t header_length,
     ^
  configure:35296: $? = 1

Benno

--