nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:22:53 -0600

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:06:18 +0200
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> But I wonder: what should nano do if there is both a ~/.nanorc file
> and a $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/nanorc file?  Should the first eclipse
> the latter, or the other way around?

~/.nanorc should be moved/renamed to ~/.nano/config, automatically like
.nano_history was. If XDG is used then automatically move ~/.nano/ to
$XDG_DATA_HOME/nano/ and move the nanorc/config file to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nano/.
And if renamed to "config", then maybe move/rename (not automatic) /etc/nanorc
to /etc/nano/config to match the new style.