nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] File tabs

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] File tabs
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 19:32:35 +0100

Op 04-12-17 om 10:09 schreef Brand Huntsman:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 19:27:21 +0100 Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
When I edit multiple files, I normally do something like 'nano src/*.c', which means that a third of the title bar gets filled with src/ src/ src/. So at the very least, the patch should display only the basename of the given files, not their full paths.

But then when you do 'nano */file' you get a titlebar full of 'file file file'. Stripping the path should only happen if all files share the same path.

No.  In almost all cases, filenames are unique anyway.  Other programs don't
show the full path in the tabs, either.  If I run 'geany doc/nano* src/*.h',
it shows just the basenames in the tabs.  They are distinct enough.  The
repetitious pathnames would just be obscuring clutter.

I think it should "scroll" the entire title bar to the left so that the name
of the current buffer can be fully displayed at the right.

Instead of the brackets, I would prefer a color highlight. This should probably be configurable: if a "tabcolor" is set, use that color, if not, use brackets.

I agree with the scrolling, but there should also be some indicator between every filename in the titlebar, such as a bold '|', because filenames can have
spaces in them.

There cannot be anything bold.  By default, nano knows just two colors:
the normal one, and inverse video for anything that needs to be highlighted.
All other colors (including bold) can be chosen by de user through the color
options for the interface.  Nano will only use bold when the user specifies
--bold, and then the bold will replace all the inverse video.

The modified asterisk and '|' should have options to set their colors.

That's over the top.

Maybe even a configurable character for '|' so someone could change it to a
space and give it the inverse color of the normal titlebar to create gaps
between filenames.

file 1 | file 2 | file 3*

The latter _might_ be a good idea.  But instead of a vertical bar I would
just use an extra space that does not have any (background) color, so it
would create the impression of tabs.  But I think this might just look...
too messy, too incoherent, too uncohesive.  Don't know.

Benno