nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:17:06 +0100

Op 16-02-18 om 13:30 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> Basically, I like this feature because it allows me to quickly
> "navigate" a file. I'm very used to it and, since it is the default
> behaviour of Firefox, Chrome and gedit, new users would expect it.

*Expect* it?  No, I don't think users are that stupid.  Vim doesn't
do incremental search by default, and it requires some digging to find
out how to enable it.  Less does not have an incremental search, nor
does lynx.  And nano looks more like less and lynx than like firefox
and gedit.  So...

My first experience with incremental search was in a PDF viewer, and
it happened to be a huge PDF.  The interaction between the search box
and the scrolling of the document (or rather: failing to scroll, because
it was both searching and trying to update the screen) was infuriating.

Benno