nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:51:08 +0100

Op 21-02-18 om 11:35 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> I put together a quick patch that works but has a couple issues.
>
> 1) On an 80 column terminal it truncates the "Write Selection" in help bar to
> "Write Select", so that will need a shorter name. Any ideas?

Just "Selection".  The key descriptions are just hints, reminders --
when the meaning is not clear, and when trying the toggle does not
bring enlightenment either, then there is ^G.

> 2) Pressing M-S when saving clears the filename and pressing it again
> restores filename. Except that it positions the cursor at the beginning
> of the filename, instead of the end. Is there a way to move the cursor
> to end of answer, like happens when the prompt is first opened?

  reinit_statusbar_x();

But back to the whole concept of having a toggle to write out a selection
instead of the whole buffer.  Currently, when a region is marked, this
affects the behavior of M-R (Replace), of ^T (Spell checking), and of ^O
(Write Out).  When the piping feature is added, it will also affect the
behavior of ^R^X^\.  So... whenever something is marked, the user would
expect the operation to be limited to the marked region and not work on
the whole buffer.  That is nano's style.  If you now add a toggle to the
Write Out menu that changes and breaks this style...  I don't agree with
that.

Benno