nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 19:53:22 +0100

Op 25-02-18 om 12:23 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> Not sure if you wanted the extra three messages so I split it into three
> patches.

Thanks.  Tweaked versions are coming up.  Another patch will be
needed to adjust the ^O^G help text and to update the documentation.

>> What I worry about are the handful of users for whom saving a
>> selection has become a habit.  They will be annoyed that they now
>> have to hit a toggle before typing the file name.  And if they are in
>> the habit of typing ^O^T, they will be surprised by the question
>> "Save file under DIFFERENT NAME?" when they pick a file.
>
> This is a problem we should probably solve before applying the patches. Not
> sure how complicated it would be to display "Buffer" or "Selection" in the
> upper right corner of titlebar in the file browser, when a mark is set.

Not sure if we want to do that.  If in the title bar, then in the top left
corner.  Something like "Buffer to..." or "Selection to...".  Or this could
be put in the status bar instead -- that for sure will grab the attention,
but maybe a bit too much.

> A little late in the process, but the yesno prompt could change if a mark is
> set to indicate "Buffer", similar to the extra three writeout prompts. It
> might lessen the confusion a little.

I don't think ^O^T is used very often, because then I think we would have
received a complaint that every time the user selects a file to write to,
nano asks: File "foo" exists; OVERWRITE?  «Yes, of course the file exists: I
picked it from a list, so apparently I want to overwrite it, so: don't ask!»

So... I think we can ignore this possibility.  (And... if it should happen
that the user accidentally writes the whole buffer instead of the selection,
nothing is lost, and the resultant file can still be trimmed afterwards.)

Benno