nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 20:22:37 -0600

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 20:09:28 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Arrows would take up less space
>
> Yes, and they don't need to be translated, so translators cannot
> change the number of characters they take up.

One slight issue I just discovered with arrows is that rxvt-unicode's RSS jumps
by 15meg per instance, but available memory only decreases by 5meg per
instance, so 10meg is shared. Base RSS is 7meg, so it doubles the size of each
instance, which adds up when one has 60 instances.

The arrows in help also trigger this. I was unable to test xterm as mine has
utf8 issues, so I don't know if this is an issue on other terminals that mostly
use english-only text. I like the arrows in the scrollbar but I also don't want
to cause other programs to use excessive memory to display them.

> > and show when scrolling can happen, unlike those words which show
> > when scrolling can't happen. A percentage would be nice, but that
> > would take up even more space, especially if put in the titlebar.
>
> I would suggest: when at top-of-buffer, show an arrow down; when at
> end-of-buffer, show an arrow up; and otherwise show a percentage.
> A percentage takes up two or three characters (we don't show 100%,
> because then the up arrow will appear).  This leaves open what to
> show when the whole buffer fits and is onscreen.

That makes sense, a percentage indicates buffer can scroll either direction.
And nothing should be displayed if the entire buffer is visible.

A large document can have several pages between 0%-1% and 99%-100%, so we
either show 99.9 or round to 100. Rounding would probably be best and only
requires 3 cells to display percentage and arrows. It would look something like
this, hyphens representing spaces.

Modified ---
Modified -▼-
Modified -0-
Modified 10-
Modified 100
Modified -▲-

Modified and View would be indented 4 instead of 2. There be 1 space to the
right of scrollbar for all cases except the rare 100. Should there be more
space to the left and/or right of scrollbar? Should the % character be
displayed?

> > Is there no case where nano beeps at top or bottom of buffer,
> > because I thought it did, but testing says otherwise. A beep might
> > be nice, but perhaps put it behind a toggle as it might annoy
> > some.
>
> I've asked this question before and Mike said something similar [1].
> But I don't want to add another option.  Nano already beeps in several
> other situations.  People who dislike this will most likely have
> turned beeps off system-wide.
>
> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2015-08/msg00007.html

Well, beeping to get your attention for an error is quite different than
beeping when pressing arrows keys. If the scrolling beeps annoy someone they
would be forced to turn off all beeps, that is wrong. It would be better to
split beeps into two categories, like STATUS_BAR and ERROR_MESSAGE. Then have
an option to disable the unimportant beeps.