nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 21:19:49 +0100

Op 14-03-18 om 02:53 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> Should there be additional space to the left or right of scrollbar?

Yes.  Two spaces on each side.  Later we can change the Modified to a
simple *, as someone has suggested, to save space and to make it kind
of fit better with the arrows/percentage: "codes" instead of text.

> Long filenames cause the version to be hidden, which also causes the
> multi-buffer indicator to be hidden. Was it decided to hide it or just
> overlooked?

Overlooked.

> I think it should be visible. If at least 32-ish characters of the filename
> can be displayed, the buffer indicator and scrollbar should be visible. If
> not, hide scrollbar, and then hide buffer indicator if filename still can't be
> about 32. But an 80 column terminal should always have buffer indicator and
> scrollbar visible. Thoughts?
Don't know; I haven't time to think about this.  One thing, though: the
scroll thing shouldn't be visible in the file browser.  (Or *if*, then it
should refer to the shown files, not to the current text buffer.)

But the percentage... is strange.  When the buffer is short, just slightly
bigger than the edit window (like for example the ^W help text), then the
percentage goes for me from: arrow-down, 40%, 60%, 80%, arrow-up.  To me
it is unclear what it means: when I press <Down> once, is then 40% of the
text out of view?  And no, it is not right that the up-arrow appears
*before* the last (blank) line of the text is in view -- that's probably
the reason why it skips the 20%?

When I copy that help text to another file (and add four lines, because
vim shows four more lines in its edit window by default), then vim goes:
Top, 25%, 50%, 75%, Bot.  I still think it's weird, but now I understand
that the percentage shows how far I have scrolled before the bottom will
come into view.

Emacs works differently, it goes: Top, 7%, 7%, 12%, 17%, 20%, Bot.  It
shows how much of the text has been scrolled off the top of the screen
(characterwise, not linewise).

I must say: I don't like either of them.  The Emacs way makes the most
sense to me, because it does for edittop what --constantshow does for
the cursor.

Benno