nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should restricted mode disallow --locking?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should restricted mode disallow --locking?
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 15:14:03 +0200

Op 25-03-18 om 01:35 schreef David Ramsey:
> I think locking is a special case that should be allowed, since locking is
> useful in general to avoid problems with multiple instances of nano (even
> restricted nano) working on the same file simultaneously.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that this was the reason why locking wasn't
excluded from restricted mode.

> More importantly, however, the lockfiles are deliberately modeled after those
> of vim.  I've tested vim 8.0.1601, and it creates lockfiles even when invoked
> in restricted mode.  So, if --locking is specified on the command line of
> rnano, it should do the same.

Thanks for checking rvim.  And I agree.

> (If you allow the user control of the command line, there's not much point to
> using restricted mode, so whatever invokes rnano in that case will have to
> specify --locking.)

True.

(But... seen like that, we could also let rnano read the rcfiles (and
ignore settings that are not allowed, like backups).  Because it seems
that rvim does read ~/.vimrc.  If the person who writes the script that
invokes rnano doesn't want to allow the user to customize nano's settings,
they can add --ignorercfiles.  Would it be too late to change that?)

Benno