nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:43:28 +0200

Op 12-10-18 om 21:00 schreef David Ramsey:
> I understand wanting to avoid confusion on the users' part, and keeping
> compatibility with Pico and the Pico-style hardmark is important, but
> tying this feature entirely to softmarked text seems arbitrary to me.  I
> don't use softmark at all, but I'd still find this feature useful
> sometimes.
>
> Couldn't a better solution be something like: (1) pressing Backspace or
> Delete while text is entirely soft marked erases the marked text; (2)
> there's also another keystroke (obviously one that isn't too easy to
> hit, despite its being undoable) that erases marked text, regardless of
> how the text was marked?

This is exactly what I proposed.  Just the other keystroke would not be
bound by default -- when the user doesn't use shift-marking, they can
bind it to get access to the function; when they use shift-marking, the
function is already conveniently bound, and having another key bound to
it too would be a waste.

But I see you have come back from treating hard and soft marking differently.

Benno