nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 12:31:52 +0100

Op 29-12-18 om 05:23 schreef David Niklas:
> After thinking about it, the only change I ever *really* wished nano would
> make to the key bindings was that ^Y and ^U should operate like in a
> shell (readline Yank and paste).

You can make those yourself, in your nanorc:

bind ^C cut main
bind ^V paste main
bind ^U "^M^B^C" main
bind ^K "^M^C^B" main
bind ^Y "^V^H" main

The things between quotes are actual control codes,
enter them by typing:
  M-V ^M M-V ^B M-V ^C
and so on.

Because this rebinds ^K and ^U, you first have to rebind the
cut and paste functions.  You probably don't want to rebind ^X,
so I've bound it to the unusual ^C.  It shouldn't matter, as
you won't be using ^C, you will be using ^U and ^K instead.

> But ^Y is used for page up and some very tiny keyboards don't come with a
> dedicated page up key (Grumble. grumble.)

If you do have arrow keys you don't need ^P and ^N, and could
rebind those to prevpage and nextpage.

Benno