needle-hackers

[Needle-hackers] Re: Which direction should function arrows point?

From: Edwin Zacharias
Subject: [Needle-hackers] Re: Which direction should function arrows point?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:24:33 -0700 (PDT)

I was reading through the LL1 mailing list archives and I came upon
http://www.ai.mit.edu/%7Egregs/ll1-discuss-archive-html/msg02688.html,
talking about the direction of function arrows.  In Lisp in Small
Peices, the author makes the same point but for conversion functions
in a footnote on page 5:

    Personally, I don't like names formed like this x->y to indicate a
    conversion because this order makes it difficult to understand
    compositions; for example, (y->z (x->y ...)) is less straightforward
    than (z<-y (y<-x ...)).  In contrast, x->y is much easier to read
    than y<-x.  You can see here one of the many difficulties that
    language designers come up againt.

I also have two quick questions about Needle.  First does it use static
or dynamic binding, and why?  Second, are you going to use any languages
as models for the Needle libraries or create something completely new?

- edwin