Re: [Nel] GNU/Linux fixes

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Nel] GNU/Linux fixes
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:57:45 +0100

Lionel Berenguier writes:

 > Thanks for this patch.
 >
 > As you say, AM_GL_VERIFY is not used and I don't find use of
 > NEL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE_NO_TYPEDEFS in your patch.

        True.

 > We think that our way to solve the GL version problem is better, even if
 > maybe more weird, since it solves it both under windows and linux.

        The solution you implemented is definitely working. I tend to think
that it's better to check & fix that kind of issue with a configure time
test + #define symbol but that's a minor point. You may want to change the
comment since the same problem shows with Mesa-4.0.1 gl.h header although
it claims to be OpenGL 1.3 compliant.

        Regarding compatibility with non GNU/Linux operating systems
on which you can't / don't want to run autoconf, one should be careful
when generating symbols. For instance,
NEL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE_NO_TYPEDEFS can be used to include the
typedefs. If not on GNU/Linux, the typedefs are not included.  If they
need to be included on another platform you could

#if defined(NEL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE_NO_TYPEDEFS) || defined(NEL_OS_PLATFORM)

        Unless you have a different configure-like system that works
on these platforms and is able to generate
NEL_ARB_MULTITEXTURE_NO_TYPEDEFS when appropriate. I'd be interested
to hear about an operating system on which autoconf cannot be run.

        That raises an interesting question : is anyone compiling
snowballs using autoconf on a platform that is not GNU/Linux ? In theory
it should work (that's the whole point of having autoconf scripts ;-)
but experience shows that it requires a small amount of tweaking anyway.

 > The rest of the patch will be applied. Tell us if not applying AM_GL_VERIFY
 > patch is a problem.

        It is not, thanks for asking ;-)

        Cheers,