Re: [Nel] Free Software drivers & fps

From: Robert J. Macomber
Subject: Re: [Nel] Free Software drivers & fps
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:24:09 -0700

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:44:43AM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:
>       Yesterday night the player "Thas" was on
> itsalive.nevrax.org. He (or she ?-) said to run snowballs on GNU/Linux
> with landscape at 12fps on a G400 / PIII733, using the Free Software
> drivers provided with XFree-4.2 (not the binary proprietary drivers
> you can get gratis on the matrox site).

Yes, that was me.

>       I did not have a chance to ask what client.cfg he is using,

Straight out of CVS (i.e., 800x600 windowed, no fog, etc.), though I
did do a "/tilenear 0.1" in-game.

> the output of glxinfo,

Appended at the end of this email.

>                        if he was displaying the Nel logo or not

No, I commented it out of the client.

>                                                                 and I
> can't remember if he had snow (although that does not seem to impact
> performances).

I didn't see any snow.  Well, I did, but not the falling sort.

--begin glxinfo output--
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI G400 20010622 AGP 4x x86/MMX/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr,
    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint,
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_histogram,
GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
    GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_object,
    GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_MESA_resize_buffers,
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_PGI_misc_hints, GL_SGIS_pixel_texture,
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
glu version: 1.2 Mesa 3.2
glu extensions:
    GL_EXT_abgr
--end glxinfo output, with the visuals info snipped since it wouldn't
be interesting to someone with a different card--
--
Robert Macomber
address@hidden