Re: [Nel] Pre-built binaries

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] Pre-built binaries
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:33:15 +0200

Mike Stoddart wrote:
It would be great if you could release pre-built binaries for Nevrax for people to try. I just three hours compiling everything, only to find that there is no data for the test program cluster_viewer. I know this is expecting and asking a lot, so forgive me, as I'm just frustrated having spent so long for so little gain.

I made a binary release : http://zerodeux.net/misc/nel/bin/

However it's too big, because NeL currently uses static linking under Windows. I'm not distributing the '.lib' files, so it's not a developer's SDK.

So here I'm back on a good old debate : DLL support for NeL/Windows ! :)

The facts : we have to add a NEL_API blurb (= a macro) in front of every class declarations and template specializations. Not a big deal, but would save a huge bunch of bytes for distribution purposes.

My concrete proposition : a patch against NeL Misc headers and a modified nel.vcproj which generates both static and dynamic libraries. So we could easily see if everything goes smoothly (I don't see how it could interfere with the current build anyway), and generalize this habbit progressively.

Nevrax people, are you willing to try this ?