[Nel] Would a complete gpl'ed and copylefted online gaming world be fina

From: Marc De Mesel
Subject: [Nel] Would a complete gpl'ed and copylefted online gaming world be financialy succes?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:13:22 +0200

What I was wondering, Would it be possible for a massive multiplayer game to be gpl'ed completely, meaning, the engine as well as the art and even make the title, the development website, the promotional website, as well as all documents (everything that is of use to the forker of your project) copyleft.

You would make money by charging access to your serverpark (or some other way you make money at your server park). Others would be able to fork your project and setup servers themselves.

On one hand this is bad for your business. There will probably pop up different variations, some closer to your project, look and feel, some more different. You will have to be more competetive. At the other hand it could be good for you as they will help create a bigger market as there will be more interesting products, online worlds in this case, as it will be more easy to make a world yourself, or with a little team since you can copy a lot of things from other projects.

Developing everything in gpl and copylet allows you also to attract more developers on the internet since you can develop your world in the wide open. All the documents, code and art can be viewed and played with. If someone shows interest and starts to contribute to the project you take him, after a while, on your team and give him or her a part of the profits to be made. (I though up a system that would allow for dynamic scaling of percentage of ownership ( and income) so that people who are of more value scale in popularity and also income and vice versa, people who stop cooperating or do stupid things will lose percentage (the other memebrs have some voting power).) (I'm thinking of an online world here that has monthly income).

You guys must already have had this idea so let me know what your thoughts were or are on this idea. Would it be possible to make money this way and hence be even be succesfull, financialy?

MarcDM