[Nel] nel3d python interface

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Nel] nel3d python interface
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:37:52 +0200

        Hi,

        I've published the first version of a python interface to the
nel3d library. You'll find it at

         http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/nel/python/nel3d/

        with corresponding Debian GNU/Linux packages at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/nel/sid/
and
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/nel/sid-dbg/

        (pynel3d*.deb)

        The idea is to give access to all interfaces published in
include/nel/3d. I chose to limit the number of new objects to the
minimum. For instance I did not create a python object for CRGBA but
used a python tuple of 4 elements instead. That means limited type
checking, of course. But python is not meant for strong type checking
anyway ;-)

        python wrapping is done by hand instead of using automatic
wrappers such as SWIG or python-boost. I explained the rationale of
this approach in the IMPLEMENTATION-NOTES file. Configuration is
purely based on autotools. As much as I'd like to use the setup.py, it
is not mature enough to compensate the troubles it
introduces. setup.py tools authors are willing to acknowledge this
immaturity, I therefore think they won't be too shocked by this choice
;-)

        The distribution also contains non-regression tests that saved
me quite a lot of time when fighting with integration with
Blender. People willing to attempt using these python extensions with
Blender must be prepared to spend some time compiling Blender with
python-2.2 bindings. It takes a few hours to figure out. Alternatively
one could just wait for a package to be published by someone else,
it's a matter of days at most.

        Cheers,