Re: [Nel] rename stlport and other errors (rich text off)

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] rename stlport and other errors (rich text off)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:43:19 +0100

Frederick Desimpel wrote:
    stlport_vc6_unicode.lib                                 ->
stlport_vc6.lib
    stlport_vc6_unicode_static.lib                       ->
stlport_vc6_static.lib
    stlport_vc6_unicode_stldebug.lib
    stlport_vc6_unicode_stldebug_static.lib

nel needs the files stlport_vc6_debug.lib and stlport_vc6_stldebug.lib, but
wich one is wich ?
i still get some LNK 1104 errors because of this, so i really have to know.

also, i get LOTS of C4786 warnings (identifier truncated to 255 characters)
in the debug builds. do i have to worry about this? what can i do about it ?

Hello,

You actually compiled (or grabbed) a Unicode-enabled STLport library, which means that the char type (for strings a such) is a 16-bit wchar (Windows uses UCS2 for Unicode support). MSVC automatically sets the '_UNICODE' preprocessor symbol if you selected Unicode support in a wizard. As of STLport 4.5.3, Unicode support seems automatically detected in 'stlport/config/stl_msvc.h'.

First solution : build STLport and your program without Unicode support (this is actually the default for most people).

Second solution : build everything with Unicode enabled (STLport, NeL and your program). Altough I guess you'll leverage some bugs where the 'char' type is misleadingly used. Unicode support is a tough job when it's not taken care of right from the start.

C4700's, a local variable p used before being initialised (somewhere in misc
and net)

You gotta be more precise than 'somewhere' in order we fix that :). Copy/paste exact line number and location. Also make sure you work from the CVS repository : http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=nel

and some linking errors:

LNK2001, unresolved external symbol (because of nlmisc_df.lib and
nl3d_df.lib)
LNK1120, unresolved externals

please help me out.

If you're using MSVC7 (.NET release), this is my fault, I'm a bit lagging in maintenance. If you're using MSVC6, then you'll have to deal that with Vianney, the VC6 build maintainer.

PS: nice idea to turn off HTML, thanks :)