Re: [Nel] NeL's GPL status

From: Damon Trask
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL's GPL status
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:15:50 -0700

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:32:33 +0200
From: Cedrik Zamo<address@hidden>
To: "Developer's list for the NeL platform" <address@hidden>

> A friend of mine said that GPL is interpreted that if you link, call or
use
> GPL'd code in any fashion in a piece of software intended for public
> distribution, that you must include *all* the source code of the intended
> software, even if the GPL parts are very small/minor.

so where can we download ryzom's client and server source code ?  :D

I was reading up on GPL and discovered that the original holder of the GPL'd software is not obligated to release the source of products or software based on their own GPL-based source. Which means that even if Ryzom uses the NeL server-side code, Nevrax is not required to release this (which would be the case anyways since it's server-side and isn't being distributed).

As for the Ryzom client, it's my understanding that the client doesn't use NeL code. There is no client released with the NeL packages we have available, so I'm assuming that Nevrax has coded the Ryzom client from scratch. If this is the case, then it's not under GPL at all.

Bottom line? Don't expect to see the Ryzom server/client source anytime soon, if ever.

On a related note, got a question for anyone from Nevrax on this list.
Is there any chance that the RAID sub-engine for Ryzom might ever be released? A feature like that would be dammed useful to the project I'm heading up.

***