Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting mhbuild to attach a directory

From: Sam Holden
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting mhbuild to attach a directory
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:01:34 +1100

address@hidden writes:
>I wonder if somebody could answer two questions for me.
>
>  How can I attach a directory (preferably compressed) and, recursively, its
>  contents to a message?

tar+gzip/zip it up into a file and attach the file to the message as described
in "man mhbuild" or do something like:

#application/x-gzip |tar -zcf - directory

To tar it up on the fly (instead of creating the tar file yourself and
attaching that). Replace the command with whatever command you want
to use to archive a directory.

>  How could I have answered this question for myself?  Neither "man mhbuild"
> nor
>  'cat /etc/nmh/mhn.defaults' helped.

"man mhbuild" tells you how to attach a file, and how to attach the output
of a program to a message.

It isn't going to tell you how to archive and compress a directory since that
isn't the domain of a mail client, that's the domain of an archive and/or a
compression program.

Just like it tells you how to attach an audio file, but doesn't tell you
how to create an audio file of the song you just wrote.