Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on Ubuntu

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:08:12 +0100

Hi,

> > > I'm getting the error "post: can't exec no: No such file or
> > > directory" when trying to send a message with nmh.
>
> > > I'm running Ubuntu Breezy with Linux Kernel
> > > 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic.  My MTA is exim 3.36--it is fully
> > > configured and works.  I installed nmh 1.1-release-3 from the
> > > Ubuntu/Debian package.  I did the spost -> post symbolic link to
> > > correct the "problem initializing server; [BHST] premature
> > > end-of-file on socket" error.  My ~/.mh_profile only has "Path:
> > > Mail".  I haven't edited any of the nmh config files.
>
> Ok, this makes a bit more sense. The error string looks like it's from
> spost, when it fails to execve sendmail. It thinks the sendmail binary
> is called "no". Have you got the line
>
> sendmail: no
>
> in your mts.conf?

I think you're right.  I hit this problem when moving to Ubuntu;  not
Breezy, an earlier version.  Here's a bit of my /etc/nmh/mts.conf.

    # The delivery method to use.  Supported values are `smtp' and `sendmail'.
    # When `smtp', nmh will open a socket connection to the mail port on the
    # machine specified below, and speak SMTP directly.
    # When `sendmail', nmh will pipe messages directly to the sendmail program.
    # Altered by Ralph.
    # was: mts: sendmail
    mts: smtp

Cheers,