Re: [Nmh-workers] Changing the return type of done()

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changing the return type of done()
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:05:07 +1000

> > I'd like to change done() to return void, and replace all the main()
> > calls with the two lines
> >
> > done(status);
> > return 1;
>
> Why not just replace them with
>
> return status;
>
> I fail to see what we gain by calling done() at the end of main().

There are definitions of done() local to some .c files such as inc.c that
do more than just call exit().

I could track down (easily, with the linker's help) which commands
are only using the exit() version and replace those done() calls
with what you describe, but that would be changing what seems to be
some kind of coding convention.

My personal preference is not to do a change like this until after
we've moved away from using this apparent convention for exit cleanup.
I don't want to break a future change that may depend on the
convention.

Cheers,

        - Joel