Re: [Nmh-workers] how to have "Date:" header field added to message when

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] how to have "Date:" header field added to message when posting mail directly via SMTP ?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:23:38 -0400

>address@hidden said:
>>  how to have "Date:" header field added to message when posting mail directly
>>  via SMTP ?
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.mh/browse_thread/thread/
>> 387d34326a6db928#
>>

>Reading rfc2822, section 3.6, it says:
>
>   The only required header fields are the origination date field and
>   the originator address field(s).  All other header fields are
>   syntactically optional.  More information is contained in the table
>   following this definition.
>
>So, as nmh clams it can submit messages using smtp, either it or something
>using it (exmh) must supply the date header. Needless to say, I don't know
>enough on nmh configuration internals to tell you how to coerce nmh to do the
>right thing. :-(

I think I'm missing something ....

nmh (and mh) has ALWAYS added a Date: header, at least as far back as I
can remember.  Just so I'm not crazy, I double-checked ... the code to
do this is in uip/post.c.  And I think it's been in there a long time.

(I have used the nmh code to send messages via SMTP for a long, long, time
so it's not an issue of SMTP-versus-sendmail).

--Ken