Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 5322 group support

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 5322 group support
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:25:15 -0500

>The group syntax allows the user to indicate why a particular address was
>included in the message destination list ...

I understand what you're saying, and I can even agree with it.  The issues
I have are all from a practical standpoint (which was why I labelled it
"basically" useless).  Specifically:

1) MUAs are not written to take advantage of the group syntax.  Other than
   blind lists I think you're going to find few that can actually generate
   them.

2) Users are unaware of them, because of 1).  Also, because very few people
   in their right mind ever look at an email RFC (they shouldn't need to).
   So they don't realize what the group syntax means, or that it's even
   available.  Sure, the group syntax might be understood on the exmh-users
   and nmh-workers mailing lists, but what about anybody else?

So _could_ you use it more?  Sure.  But I think in practice it's like
a few of the other oddball things in the RFC-822 syntax; little used,
and problematic in practice.

--Ken