Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:59:59 -0500

Peter wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013, at 04:10 PM, David Levine wrote:
> >
> > > You would want this in your .mh_profile:
> > >
> > > send: -server mail.messagingengine.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -user usernam
> address@hidden
> >
> > You'll want -server smtps-proxy.messagingengine.com instead.  With
> > that, you can use -port 80.
>
> So I guess the goal is to put everything in .mh_profile, and leave
> mts.conf alone. Is that right?

Right.

> If so, I guess I should just restore the default mts.conf. In
> particular, should I have mts set to smtp vs sendmail?

Yes, smtp.

> I don't know why it's trying to connect to mailwash50.pair.com. I do
> have a pair.com account, but I don't know where send is getting this
> address instead of the server specified in .mh_profile.

You'll have to track that down first.  A server can only
come from mts.conf, your profile, or the send command line
at the whatnow prompt.

> Also, is there a way to verify that I have all the suitable options
> built in nmh? I recently uninstalled the MacPorts nmh and built it by
> hand from the git repository without specifying any particular options.

You'll need to rebuild with SASL and TLS support.  Rather
than me look up how to do that :-), try rebuilding with
this, when in your nmh workspace:  docs/contrib/build_nmh -dv
and respond to the prompts.

I was starting to type another message:

This looks so familiar that I thought I'd try it.
And I expect it will look familiar to Ken now, too.

The send component in your profile will then need
include:

  send: -server smtps-proxy.messagingengine.com -port 80 -sasl -initialtls

If you also add a credentials component:

  credentials: file:.nmhcreds

Then add that .nmhcreds file to your Mail (MH Path) directory
with contents:

machine smtps-proxy.messagingengine.com
  login <FastMail username>
  password ********