Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:12:52 +0000

Hi Ken,

> > Don't things like http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/ and
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libiberty/ remove some of the pain of
> > common non-POSIX functions, e.g. asprintf()?
>
> Just so everyone doesn't think I'm completey unreasonable ...

Oh, I'm sure *everyone* doesn't think you're unreasonable.  :-)

> I looked at this, and it replaces that pain with some NEW pain.  In
> the case of gnulib, you just can't use asprintf.c.  You really need
> vasnprintf.c ... and just from a quick glance that involves a whole
> bunch of new autoconf tests as there are a ton of #ifdefs in there.

ISTM, and I haven't used it so it could easily get more complex than I'm
suggesting, that gnulib-tool helps with managing the dependencies.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/Initial-import.html
walks through introducing gnulib to a project to gain non-C89/C99
strdup(3).

Even if it's fiddly, it's tucked away in one corner of the source
whereas asprintf(), and whatever else gnulib might nicely offer, would
be seen widely and give benefit that outweighs the hassle IMHO.

I might take a look at this over Christmas if no one else has already
done it.  "How hard can it be?"

Cheers, Ralph.