Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Kevin Cosgrove
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:22:38 -0700

On 21 July 2015 at 15:11, "Martin G. McCormick" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am still trying to get the programs in nmh that talk to the
> mail transport agent to send the message to msmtp so I set the
> following lines in /etc/nmh/mts.conf:
>
> mts: sendmail
>      sendmail: /usr/local/bin/sendmail
>
>       Okay, that is a bit of a hack. Since the only two types
> of MTA one can call are smtp and sendmail, I thought I would get
> sneaky and do the following:
>
> ln -s /usr/bin/msmtp /usr/local/bin/sendmail
>
> This should have forced all nmh applications using sendmail to
> use the new link I had created.
>
> I believe it still tried to use /usr/sbin/sendmail. There were
> squawks in /var/log/exim4/mainlog that shouldn't have appeared
> if it really had attempted to use msmtp. Also, there are logs
> that msmtp creates and they don't become any larger.

Hi Martin,

I've used Postfix instead of Sendmail for years now.  Postfix
listens on the smtp port.  In mts.conf I have "mts: smtp" and all
is fine.

I know nothing about your MTA.  Does it listen to the SMTP port?
Or, does one have to call the executable?  What do you get when
you try "telnet yourhostname 25"?  I get

telnet mailhost 25
Trying 192.168.1.3...
Connected to mailhost (192.168.1.3).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mailhost ESMTP Postfix (2.3.6)

For what it's worth, the postfix RPM package installation process
on one system I have made these links.

/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command

/etc/alternatives/sendmail-command -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

At least one distribution was thinking of linking like you mention.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin