Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Anthony J. Bentley
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 23:05:06 -0600

Ken Hornstein writes:
> - is really not all that hard,
>
> Robert, I have to ask ... do you read all of the messages on this list?
> I can completely understand if you don't ... but I do.  And I can tell
> you that while there are a number of people, like yourself, who are
> perfectly capabable of configuring their MTA, there's also a good number
> of people who cannot, either from lack of knowledge or interest. nmh
> should serve those people as well.  So when you say, "really not all
> that hard", you're speaking as someone who's been in and out of the deep
> levels of Unix for many decades.  That is not true of everyone (and I
> hope it's not a nmh requirement).  For many people, yes, it is too hard.

It's certainly true that running a MTA can be hard. Some are easier than
others though; I use OpenSMTPD to relay to GMail, and the config is
five lines long:

listen on lo0
table aliases db:/etc/mail/aliases.db
table secrets db:/etc/mail/secrets.db
accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
accept from any for any relay via tls+auth://address@hidden:587 auth <secrets>
verify

And thus mail(1) works, you get retry, etc. Many people don't need a MTA,
but it's an option worth considering.

--
Anthony J. Bentley