Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting 1.7 release cycle

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting 1.7 release cycle
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:06:53 -0400

>agreed.  i've always felt it was misplaced, in relation to the source
>tree.  i understand that it needs to be somewhere findable, but out of
>the way, after installation, since we don't want to require perl.  i'd
>love to see it at the top level in the source tree.

I'm certainly opening to moving contrib.

>continuing with the why-is-that-there questions, what is ./guide for?  it
>looks like it's an editor config file.  is it something more?

Well, there is actually a decent log entry for it:

commit 8ae9c34707bcd3d06d9856bc71003cc306b9c912
Author: Lyndon Nerenberg <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Oct 1 17:20:38 2014 -0700

    Add a 'guide' file for acme(1).

    If we ever find more than one acme user working on the source,
    the single-guide-file premise might need a review.

    Ultimately, there should be a way for the configure script to
    search for and import a personal guide file from the developer's
    $HOME or some such.  The next person to come along can figure
    that out.

--Ken