Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting 1.7 release cycle

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting 1.7 release cycle
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 00:38:59 +0000

Hi Jon,

> > What's the route between mhshow and evince, e.g. xdg-open(1)?
> > What's the relevant mhshow-... lines in the profile?
> The relevant profile line is "mhshow-show-application/pdf: evince
> '%F'".

That's a direct chain of processes between mhshow and evince.  You might
want to try flinging the file at your desktop to open it in a way it
sees fit instead, e.g. xdg-open(1).  There's Gnome-specific equivalents,
and exo-open(1), etc.  They all do a similar thing.  Send a message on a
bus to have the file be opened and exit.  You can try `xdg-open foo.pdf'
at the shell prompt to see if it works.  However, this does mean that
mhshow won't be waiting for you to finish viewing the PDF.

My only other thought is a vague recollection that the bash-completion
might have caused me problems in this area in the past;  I no longer use
it so can't test.

I'd probably attack it by having mhshow start evince, as you do now, and
then `strace -p' the various processes to see what signals are arriving.
Here, using mupdf(1) instead of evince(1), I see mhshow, less, and mupdf
running after `mhshow -part 2'.  On Ctrl-Z they all get SIGTSTP.  less
catches it to restore the terminal and then sends itself SIGTSTP.  It
all works as expected.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy