Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:13:59 +0100

Hi Ken,

> > I've reproduced similar symptoms with an mhbuild-produced email
> > where I tacked on CR to the end of every line after the blank line
> > after the headers.  IOW, without the headers having CR.  However, I
> > still think this is an invalid format email;  why should we handle
> > CR at any location?
>
> Sigh.  I'm of two minds about that.  Technically those are valid RFC
> 5322 messages;

I agree RFC 5322 lines are CRLF, but RFC 4155's application/mbox are
just LF, and Unix mbox files from Postfix, etc., are just LF.  I don't
think the code should allow /\r?\n/ for all inputs, but I don't think
you're saying it does?

Is retrieving POP3 emails the only time we should see the CR and it gets
stripped off before the non-POP3 code sees it?  When nmh creates a
message/rfc822 it doesn't tack CRs on so presumably they're not meant to
be there on non-nmh incoming ones?

> our wrinkle is that we techically support RFC 5322 messages with Unix
> line endings.  But that is pretty standard on Unix systems

We don't insist on CRLF when receiving RFC 5322, right.

> and this was definitely not a normal use case.

Agreed.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy