Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg on a pathological mail
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 00:23:15 -0400

>I didn't punt on it without good reason.  :-)
>It's MIME too, so it's not as if the authors had a 70s'-induced drug
>haze as a crutch.

Where it actually ends up segfaulting is in InitText().  The original code
from mh-6.8.5 says:

    if (!*ci -> ci_subtype)     /* XXX: attmail bogosity! */
        ci -> ci_subtype = add ("plain", ci -> ci_subtype);

This is where life gets confusing; it seems like maybe this code was
worked on my two generations of people.  Looks like one person assumed
that a missing subtype of "text" would work fine by setting subtype to
NULL, but the expression in InitText() always dereferences that pointer.
I guess maybe the idea was you could do:

#<text

Without having to specify #<text/plain ?  Sigh.  I think maybe ripping
that bypass for the missing subtype would be best.  Other thoughts?

--Ken