Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP/nmh, again
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 23:11:01 +0100

Hi Ken,

> But maybe you're bandwith-limited

Yes, in this large case.  I can observe `ip -s a show dev ens35' before,
during, and after, and see it causes RX'd bytes to shift from idle to
full pelt.

The frequency of the timestamps of the network packets show they're
fairly even.

      3 17:38:41
     20 17:38:42
    327 17:38:43
    542 17:38:44
    586 17:38:45
    588 17:38:46
    442 17:38:47
    424 17:38:48
    526 17:38:49
    438 17:38:50
    426 17:38:51
    321 17:38:52
      1 17:38:53

> A better question is ... do you consider a "scan 1-10426" taking 10
> seconds reasonable?

It's OK for the first time, but a bit of a bore every time.  But I'm not
champing for IMAP;  I want local folders to be quicker.  :-)  On a
sufficiently large folder that hasn't been read here, this takes about
six wall-clock seconds from spinning rust.

    \time -v scan -forma '' first:10426

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy