Re: [Nmh-workers] possible problem with mhfixmsg in nmh-1.7

From: Steven Winikoff
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] possible problem with mhfixmsg in nmh-1.7
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:40:21 -0500

>Steven wrote:
>
>> I've run into a few issues, most of which are trivial (and which I'll
>> describe below for the sake of completeness),
>
>Thank you for for detail description.  It looks like Ralph has addressed
>the substantive issues.
>
>> The other issues I mentioned are:
>>
>>   - It would be really nice if configure and Makefile.in didn't force a
>>     trailing /nmh on the pathnames I supply for libexecdir and sysconfdir.
>
>Forcing them seems to be a common convention.  It does help avoid namespace
>collisions.

Understood, and when nmh is installed under /usr this makes perfect sense.

In my case I was eager to get my hands on 1.7 rather than wait for it to
be packaged by the OS maintainers, and I purposely keep all my locally
installed packages out of any directory at risk of being overwritten in
a future OS upgrade.

In this case that resulted in the

   /big/local/pkg/nmh

directory referred to in a previous message in this thread.  For
completeness, my installation unpacks the source archive into

   /big/local/pkg/nmh/nmh-1.7

...and all of the installed files go into subdirectories of

   /big/local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7

This also has the (intentional :-) side effect of making it easy for
multiple versions to coexist.  (On one server I still have 1.4 installed
because at least one user preferred to keep using it rather than learn
how things changed in 1.6 :-/).

Under these circumstances the extra nmh subdirectory isn't helpful, which
is why I wanted to avoid using it.

I know I'm in a minority here, which is why I requested a configure option
rather than an outright change.

  Thanks,

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Concordia University           | "My interest is in the future because I
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  am going to spend the rest of my life
address@hidden   |  there."