Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-

From: Steven Winikoff
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-1.7
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 23:38:21 -0500

>> The problem was the embedded parentheses, specifically the (002) part of
>> the filename:
>>
>>     =?iso-8859-1?Q?SEAO_-_R=E9sultats_d'ouverture_(002).pdf?=
>
>I still think it's due to the single quote, which confuses the quoting added
>by mhshow.

I understand why that seems likely, especially given the comments in that
part of the code.

But the error message I received specifically mentioned the parentheses, and
while I concede that my patch isn't necessary when putting double quotes
around %{name}, nevertheless that patch did work without the double quotes,
and it did so without touching the actual quote code.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right; it only explains why I
think so.

>> This mostly works, but I'm running into quote-handling weirdness.
>
>Maybe the (ab)use of fmttest in the profile was just a bit too fancy.

But fmttest does the right thing outside .mh_profile...

It's not a problem (I just cleaned up the extraneous ' and \ characters
in my mime_handler script).

>> I don't know why I thought these entries are case-sensitive; are they not?
>
>They aren't, we should note that in the map page.  The comparison is done
>with strcasecmp().

Thank you for confirming that.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Concordia University           | "It is easier to fight for principles
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  than to live up to them."
address@hidden   |