Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 23:41:52 +0000

Hi Ken,

> > I've been wondering if a long-lived MH server would be helpful.
> > `scan +inbox last:42' would connect to it, learn the message numbers
> > in inbox, and ask for the fields it wants for the format string for
> > the last 42.  The server would likely have this information to hand,
> > and if not, go to work, readdir(), opening files, parsing, decoding,
> > etc.
>
> Is it me or does that sound a whole lot like IMAP? :-)

:-)

I don't know IMAP, but is there an IMAP server out there that will be
happy when I overwrite a hunk of ~/mail/inbox/42 in place?  IMAP's a
textual protocol so we'd be switching one lot of text parsing in scan
for another.  Would pick(1), when talking to `our' IMAP implementation,
make use of extensions to the protocol to save it effort, and fallback
if it's vanilla IMAP?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy