Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 22:11:45 -0800

Ken Hornstein wrote:
from there, implementing Maildir might be easier than from here. even
IMAP isn't impossible, if we're willing to return a socket descriptor
instead of a file descriptor, or maybe a pipe from a fork, or (gag me) a
temporary file.

Weeeelll ... I think, sadly, that to really make things like IMAP a win
we need to abstract out things a bit more.

that sounds right. however, i'm not sure if you're saying that abstracting out the POSIX stuff so that it can also handle Maildir is not a good first correctness-preserving transformation that would set us up well for a second such transformation once IMAP's semantics and impedance are better understood, or, if you think there's no point in doing it in two steps, and we should understand everything before we do anything. can you elaborate?

--
P Vixie