Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:29:04 +0000

Hi Ken,

> Paul Vixie wrote:
> > prompter is what i was thinking of.

Well remembered.  I've used that too a long time ago.
For quick short emails I prefer the imperative style of giving
recipients and subject on the command line rather than interactive of
being prompted as that's a bit slower.

> > i could say ^D and something would ask "What now?" and i'd give it
> > some instruction that would _then_ start my visual editor of choice.

Like `~e' or `~v' escapes, for ed(1) and vi(1) at the start of a line
when entering body in mail(1) to upgrade when editing is required.

> > i think it should still be prompter, so that we have no editor
> > assumption or dependency.
>
> That sounds reasonable to me.  Thoughts, objections?

+1.  It also matches

    Editing the Draft with prompter
    https://rand-mh.sourceforge.io/book/mh/senove.html#Edipro

--