Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs

From: nmh
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 15:51:55 -0500

Hi Ralph:

I appreciate your examples below, my comments about them are to show, I'm more
or less
following them.  I'll probably use ideas from them in future bash functions.

On Thu 5/24/18 14:56 +0100 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > For the yahoo email client, no word wrapping is added to the received
> > email, ie. there are no '\n's within the received paragraph (unlike
> > gmail). Most importantly, for the yahoo client, each paragraph in the
> > body of the original has to end in '\n\n\n' in order for there to be a
> > single empty '\n' in between paragraphs in the received email. In the
> > yahoo email client the email looks just fine visually with only '\n\n'
> > as and ending to paragraphs, but then the received email does *not*
> > end up having an empty line between paragraphs.
>
> This looks like
> https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Features-and-settings/Line-spacing-issues-in-composing-email/td-p/79841/page/2

So the plain text part of yahoo email is munged due to their bug apparently.

> I did get mhl(1) that's run by show(1) to use fmt(1).
> Perhaps you can do that selectively on troublesome emails since repl(1) will
> use mhl too.
>
>     $ cat mh-profile
>     context: context
>     $
>     $ cat fmtspc
>     #! /bin/sh
>
>     sed 's/$/\n/' "$@" |

Converts to double space
Another idiom is: sed -eG.

>     fmt -su |

Interesting switches for fmt.

>     cat -s

Squeeze multiple empty lines to single empty line

>     $
>     $ MH=mh-profile show -form <(echo body:nocomponent,format) \
>     >     -fmtproc $PWD/fmtspc 42

Interesting syntax, a simple 1 line form.

>     conveyances Hood's palatable economically NP Arabist's railroader's
>     Nair's influxes complexion recolonize speak prickliness loadstones
>     relaunch's treachery's slowdown's bosh's Deccan countermoves arranger's
>     vacuousness's wisteria's mesquite's hocked Petra's necrophilia LAST
>
>     iPod's Poe's neurotic's imploded lance stepladder malignancies Poole
>     monogamy's jeopardized immaculateness schoolwork's optometry's
>     readability's Kayla buckshot's pickax's nasal's backcloth bleep
>     reformative divisibility's merrymaker's Tbilisi proof's azures
>     departmentalises waived Hellenism fabrication manning adjudication
>     reproducer bullied marketer clayier eschewing GIF misinterpreting Sagan
>     footlights fiords Feb's azimuth dingbat's conclaves shalt Iphigenia
>     sterilises kickstand's Emily dishwasher syrupy loadstar's logrolling's
>     cray jehads snowball's Barlow ichthyologist Nevada nonslip prorate
>     farmyard begrudges fleeced Hondurans plunderers sparely self Lou wreaked
>     Iago airgun angstrom recrystallizes dipsomania's engorges Dubcek's
>     Yesenia departmentalized feebleness duckweed clamp's wretchedness basked
>     tachograph vivarium photocell podded Tyler's paisley eventually rubbery
>     affidavit Flatt quint's entrenched Galloway overoptimism punks LAST
>
>     $

Thanks Ralph!

--Tom