Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 16:49:53 -0400

Anthony J. Bentley <address@hidden> wrote:
    > Michael Richardson writes:
    >> And given EFAIL, it seems that we were wise.

    > nmh wise? I dunno. Part of EFAIL was that the mail client downloaded
    > bits from the Internet and interleaved them seamlessly into the
    > message.

No, that downloading from the Internet was entirely a normal thing.
It's that the MUAs failed to run the HTML bits in seperate sandboxes.
(Or that they ran the HTML bits at all)

    > That seems like an inherently dangerous thing to do... and nmh does it
    > with one of the messages in this very thread: Ralph Corderoy's message
    > contains a 'Content-Type: message/external-body; access-type="url";
    > url="..."' bit that was promptly fetched and displayed in the middle of
    > the message. How do I disable this behavior, and why does nmh have it
    > turned ON by default!?

I don't remember how to turn it off; I don't think it is on by default.
Did you build from source, or from a package?

]     address@hidden  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [