octal-dev

[Octal-dev] "code documentation"

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: [Octal-dev] "code documentation"
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 15:16:22 -0400

> ...so this would only provide half the benefit, ie
> nicely-formatted comments which can be instantly turned into
> documentation, but you still  have to arrange the code the
> way the compiler likes it, right?

Yes, but who really has a problem with this? It's the same as in all
other C programming---you have a great deal of freedom how you arrange
things. Experienced C programmers will have no trouble.

You're correct that this wouldn't get the whole package---this is really
more "code documentation" than "literate programming". But half the
benefit is still pretty nice.

I'm going to do some tests and see how it works out. I don't mind if
nobody else ever uses it, but I did think that it would be a very simple
way to add math and pictures to a source file, particularly in OCTAL
machines where an algorithm's operation might not be immediately obvious
given just the code. I'm not going to mandate its use for anything.

> True.  DVI files are really clunky on a monitor, though.

Yes---the LaTeX would be primarily for printing if you don't have a good
monitor. This can then be converted to HTML automatically, and put it on
the web or whatever.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden