octal-dev

Re: [Octal-dev] The 95% solution

From: Mitkin
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] The 95% solution
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 02:00:35 -0400

> I've checked out a decent amount of installation-music (so far, I think
> minimalist Mika Vainio's "Onko" is my favorite.) From what I've read,
> these installations are looped or non-repeating montages of material
> that last for days. I think there's a lot of custom software or
> programmed cd players going on.

Actually, Mika Vaionio makes all his music with analogue equipment.  You
could call him "computer-phobic."  He and his partner in Pan Sonic both
despise computers, and use all kindsa little gadgets to make their music
instead.  Nothing digital.  Mostly test equipment and some old school
drum machines, too.  808 for instance.  Its neat stuff.  They are old
fogies, too.  45 or so I think.. old for being in the electronic music
scene at least.  At least this is what Ive heard from reliable sources
who have met the two Pan Sonic members.  Totally off topic, but its
interesting to me and I like to think I contribute :)

-Matthew Itkin