Segmentation fault

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:54:39 -0500 (CDT)

On 10-May-2000, Esben Byskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| To whom it may concern.
|
| On my other computer I am running Debian Linux Slink and have had good use
| of octave until today.
|
| Usually, I have written octave in an xterm and then read the *.m-file from
| octave, and all worked well.
| Today, I wrote
|
|   octave Shanper.m
|
| where Shanper.m obviously is the main *.m-file.
| Now, octave gave a message entailing
|
|   error: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
|   error: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
|
| After this I have not been able to run octave because it always gives this
| message, even if I start it by writing just:
|
|   octave

Chances are that this is not a bug in Octave.

Did you do something to your system, like upgrade the system C or C++
libraries?

| To make things even more disturbing, I reinstalled octave from my CDROM,
| but without any luck in that the same error message pops up.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| Esben Byskov
|
| P.S.
| I have found a little funny difference between Matlab and octave in that
| Matlab insists on
|
|   V = CoeffMat\RVec';
|
| and gives an error message if I write
|
|   V = inv(CoeffMat)*RVec;
|
| which works (used to work) under octave.  On the other hand, octave refuses
| to accept the version that Matlab likes.

Sorry, you lost me on this one (i.e., I don't have enough information
to understand what the problem is).

If you think there is a bug, please send a complete bug report to
address@hidden

If you are not sure what makes a complete bug report, please read
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/bugs.html.

Thanks,