RE: foreign function interface

From: Lippert, Ross A.
Subject: RE: foreign function interface
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:52:54 -0500

What about, instead, something less ambitious, but almost as powerful.  Suppose
that one had an "instant oct-file" version of mkoctfile, which produces a .oct
wrapper for a given function from a given library given some signature
information
(and perhaps C, C++, Fortran linkage information).  This instant-octfile program
would be run outside octave (or within octave via system()).

e.g.
% inst-oct sqrt /lib/libmath.a -o ~/octave/oct-files/mysqrt.oct -sig
'(double)*f(double)'

I think in practice, people would be just happen to ^Z out of octave, do
something
quick to their favorite lib, and then jump back in and have the DLD available.
Perhaps
some octave functions could be written which supply common signatures to a
system('inst-oct ...') call.

Anothing way to get .oct files written quickly, which people may like a lot if
some sort
of template (like the famous oregonator example) file which can be instantly
conjured into
an editor (which saves us the time to look up the oregonator example in the
handbook).
A well commented template can be the key to fast function development.

-r