Re: Graphical octave frontend

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Graphical octave frontend
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:57:56 -0500

Ulrich Kuettler wrote:
On Tuesday 11 March 2003 03:01, Paul Kienzle wrote:

Ulrich Kuettler wrote:

I hope you share my enthusiasm about it because to go further I need
your kind help and support. My aim is to link against out of the box
octave libraries. But there might be a few changes necessary. For

An alternative approach is to run octave in a
separate process and use pipes (e.g., octave-forge
extra/engine) or TCP/IP sockets (e.g., octave-forge
main/miscellaneous/listen.cc).  Neither interface is
complete, but both have been used successfully in
some projects.

This surely is an idea. But on the other hand would it force me to implement
my own parse tree and value classes. That is why linking against octave libs
seems more reasonable to me.
No, you can send commands to evaluate through
the link, whatever it is, and just pick up the results.
example could the build process be much smoother if octave's config.h
had another name. (I'm also very much in favour of John Eaton's
suggestion to introduce an "octave" namespace.) Another issue I
haven't solved yet is how a library's user finds the error messages
when error_state != 0.

Look in listen.cc:

    bind_global_error_variable();
    octave_value def = get_builtin_value("__error_text__");
    std::string str = def.string_value();

Thank you very much. This solves it! Now it's merely a question of the user
interface to present the message in a sensible way. (But why don't I find the
file listen.cc?)
http://octave.sf.net
To me it's really amazing how well octave fits, how easy it is to use it. The
only difficulty I see now is the file config.h as there is a file of the same
name inside koffice. And would it be possible to add "--cflags" and "--libs"
options to octave-config? This would make the build process a lot easier.
Do you mean:

    CFLAGS=... LIBS=... ./configure

Or do you mean:

    mkoctfile -p CFLAGS