Re: 3D plotting solutions

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Re: 3D plotting solutions
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:46:56 +0100

Hi all

Sorry (to Ole) for the abrupt end to our previous discussion.. I have been
tied up with a job over the past few weeks. When things settle down, I'll
endevour to write the initial idea for the Octave graphics types based on the
ideas discussed so far.

In the meantime, I have a few comments on Johan's email:

In designing KVisualiser, an idea integral to the design was to enable
advanced users to write their own plugin visualisation objects - either low
level VTK type objects, or higher level plotting objects, both of which could
be controlled via the xml based internal/external comms.

For example, coming from an acoustics background, one of my personal interests
is to create KV objects which could be used for acoustical analysis:

http://kvisualiser.free.fr/images/mode618.0Hz.jpg
http://kvisualiser.free.fr/images/modes3D.jpg

The grand plan in KV would be to provide the library and program
infrastructure to empower advanced users to create KV plugin objects that
have an associated dynamic loadable Octave graphics object type, thereby
providing pretty much that which Johan expresses.

This extendable mechanism is of course not yet complete - I am still in the
process of finalising the structure of KV. Once the API is stable and the new
Octave graphics objects system is in place, I hope that writing new
visualisation objects will be the relatively easy task of writing new KV and
associated Octave object types.

In the short term, I can not offer any quick fix since the KV code base is not
at a stage where the API is fixed, and also Ole + brother and I (and anyone
else interested) need to finalise the Octave graphics type system. In the
long term, I hope KV will provide an extendable system where advanced users
can contribute their new objects back to the KV code base and thus allow
others to benefit from their work.

Nic