[Patch] Shared build on OS X

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: [Patch] Shared build on OS X
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:08:22 -0600

On 14-Feb-2004, Per Persson <address@hidden> wrote:

| the attached patch will fix the problem with shared builds on OS X.
|
| It is basically the same things as was proposed some time ago,
| http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/octave-maintainers/2002/220
| but never made it into the source. I don't remember why.
|
| I don't really like the addition of LDFLAGS to {SH, DL}_LDFLAGS, but
| otherwise
| the linker couldn't find libs (e.g. lg2c) in nonstandard locations
| (specified in LDFLAGS).
| There are probably better ways to do this.
|
| Octave (CVS as of 2004-02-11) compiles and runs testcases without
| errors (# of expected passes 1199)
| on Mac OS X 10.3.3 using
| gcc 3.3 20030304 (Apple build 1495) and
| g77 3.3.2

I applied your patch and make a few additional changes (the new
variables needed to be added to the octave_config_info struct, used in
mkoctfile.in, etc.)

Now mkoctfile uses DL_LD and DL_LDFLAGS and the old
MKOCTFILE_SH_LDFLAGS variable has been replaced by
MKOCTFILE_DL_DLFLAGS.

I think I have the change right, but I don't have a system to use for
testing where there would be a difference between SH_LD and DL_LD, so
you'll need to update your sources and confirm that it works properly.

Thanks,