Re: new matlab features

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: new matlab features
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:44:09 +0100

John,

I am sure that you are right about the calls for features that octave lacks, relative to R14. Oddly, though, I sense a desperation in this pushing of features that very few, if any, of Mathworks customers will be interested in. To me, as a heavy Matlab user, its strengths are epitomised in:

Development Environment

This is a very slick part of Matlab. One can live without it but life, sure as heck, is easier with it.

Performance and Platform Support

Here the improvements obtained with the "JIT" compiler are truly impressive in some intellectual sense. I am not sure that I understand its extension to all types in R14, in that the extension must be marginal in terms of usage. In fact, Matlab R11 is already a factor 10 times faster than octave-2.1.56 for F77-type code. From the point of view, of every day use, this was already enough; I do not detect any significant difference in the jobs that I am doing. If we could get to the bottom of where this difference, pre-JIT, comes from, I think that octave would be immeasurably improved.

Graphics and 3-D Visualization

This, from my point of view and that of all my colleagues, is the true strength of Matlab, since version 11-ish. Not only are the graphics good but the GUI is excellent.

The conclusions that I would draw from the appearance of R14  are:

1] The small bunch of volunteers who are developing octave are doing fine relative to the hundreds doing R14. 2] The small bunch of volunteers who are developing octave should be damned proud of themselves. 3] There is perhaps something symptomatic in the octave graphics list; an anouncement that "a handle graphics project has started" stopped the list in its tracks..... 4] The will of small bunch of volunteers who are developing octave is such that if they worked together more, they could give Mathworks a run for their money in the above three areas (in reverse order of priority, I think).

Perhaps the call that John made to improve basic tests could be a clarion call for more collective effort to develop octave? As for the gripers... stuff-em! As my forebearers from the north of England would say, "You don't get owt for nowt!"

Paul T