Re: NDArray for median ??

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: NDArray for median ??
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:18:47 -0700

Paul Kienzle wrote:
Be aware that the usual statistical definition of median
averages the two middle values if there are an even number
of elements.  Will it still be faster than sort if you are
selecting the two middle values?

That is a good point. I was at liberty to pick-up an odd number
of points for whatever I was doing (sliding median filter).
Thanks.
Actually, I just looked up and according to the "Numerical Recipes"
select() is six times faster then their qsort(), but I am not
sure that it (qsort) is as efficient as the one in glibc.
But again, their select() may not be the most efficient either.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden

Regards,
Dmitri.