Re: DLD vs. M-File

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: DLD vs. M-File
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:52:05 -0400

On Apr 16, 2004, at 1:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 12-Apr-2004, Al Niessner <address@hidden> wrote:

| so that people like me can quickly port
| the leasqr.m from octave-forge to __leastsq__.cc

But why should people always be converting everything to .cc files?
It is generally much simpler to maintain the .m versions.

While interpreter speed remains an issue people will continue
converting things to oct-files.

It won't help that much in the case of leasqr since it already operates
on matrices and will otherwise run into a bottleneck in feval. I wouldn't expect more than a 2x speedup (if that), so it wouldn't be worthwhile for me. For some people (e.g., those who are doing thousands of fits), a 2x
speedup is worthwhile.  I don't usually bother unless I expect 10x or
better improvement, or unless the operation is really slow.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden